The adventure started last Saturday, July 16th with a "practice run" to the hospital. Let’s just say apparently my water did not yet break, but in fact the baby dropped, and I was reported to be about 3 cm dilated. I left the hospital on Saturday, with a mission to do as much walking as possible :) Unfortunately, for my parents before we found out it was a false alarm, they were already in the car driving up from Bellbrook. Fortunately, for me I now had more company for my walking mission! We went to the Wyandotte Art Fair Saturday afternoon and various stores on Sunday (Bed Bath & Beyond, Sam's Club, etc). Saturday, night I was having contracts about every 5 minutes, but they weren't painful, so I opted to stay away from the hospital with the concern of being sent home a second time :)
Sunday arrived, and I still didn't feel like the little baby was ready to make his appearance, so my parents headed back home that night.
After, the 3 cm report, and steadily increasing contracts, I did decided it would be wise to work from home, here on out instead of doing the 45 min drive to the office. All Monday, I continued to have steadily increasing contracts about 10-15 minutes apart, but still wasn't convinced. I also had a Dr. visit on Monday, where I was reported to be 3-4 cm dilated, and he stated he would be very surprise if I made it another few days :) I called my mom, and told her to plan to come up Wednesday night! (I then called her later in the day, and told her maybe she should be more on standby.) We also had it set up with our wonderful neighbor to be on call for any 2 a.m. phone calls to watch Brooke in the middle of the night.
Now for the fun! Around 1:00 a.m. Tuesday morning, as I was still timing my contracts, I now noticed they were in fact only 3-5 minutes apart, and growing quickly in intensity. I had it in my mind I would make it to 7 a.m. so we could just take Brooke to daycare, but at this point, I decided to wake Nick up around 2 a.m. to let him know it was TIME TO GO!! We dropped Brooke off at the neighbors at 2:45 a.m., and arrived at the hospital around 3:19 a.m. (Yes, at this point Nick had his notebook to record all the different times, so I could get my birthing story just right!)
We were up in triage by 3:30 a.m., and they started to do my blood work around 3:45 a.m., as I didn't want to miss my opportunity for my epidural, and they were also very sure I wasn't going to be sent home this time :)
I was now 4-5 cm dilated at 4 a.m., and was finally transfer to my birthing room at 4:30 a.m. According to the "notes" I also pee'd at 4:17 a.m., I guess this is Nick's way of having fun with the notes. The epidural was started at 5:19 a.m., and I was now loving life once again! Just as we got all cozy in our beds, and ready to relax for the next few hours, my water broke at 5:57 a.m., and they checked me at 6:12 a.m. to report I was now 6+ cm.
My parents received the phone call at 2:45 a.m. this morning that my contracts had been 3-5 minutes apart, and we were on our way to the hospital. They jumped in their car once again for the 3 hr drive up to Flat Rock, with my dad being wide awake after a "five hour energy shot". They arrived at the hospital at 7:00 a.m., just in time for the fun!
7:40 a.m. I decided it was time for a little make-up :) and by 8:09 a.m. they reported I was fully dilated and ready to go!! We got a very funny video of the nurse having me to "practice pushes", stating the baby was now crowning, and then walking out of the room! My dad announced at this point, it looked like Nick would be catching after all :) My doctor finally ran in the room at 8:33 a.m., and yes literally ran, as they were on the phone with him hearing "I can see the hospital", "I'm in the building & on my way up". Fortunately, the epidural was working so well, I wasn't in any pain, and ok to wait. So once my doctor showed up at 8:33, and a few pushes later Tyler was born at 8:36 a.m.!!
Day #1 with our new little boy!
A very proud daddy!
Brooke has been talking, talking, talking "baby, baby, baby" for months now. Her expression was just priceless when she finally got to meet her little brother. She now wakes up each morning, saying "baby ?", and runs to go find him. Thanks to daycare, she already knows she has to be gentle, and isn't allowed to touch the baby.
Grandma gave her, her own little baby to bring with her to the hospital as well.



2 comments:
He is so beautiful. Congratulations. New babies are such good things. Enjoy everything.
Talk about a play-by-play! Nick took great notes ;) Glad to hear all went well and that you're home and that Brooke is being such a good big sister (not that there was any doubt). I'm sure you've heard it from several people already...get some rest! Congrats again to all of you!
Post a Comment