Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Flying Pig Marathon

Nick, Simon & Bob all participated in the Flying pig marathon down in Cincinnati, OH this past weekend. Of course the weather was beautiful on Friday, and most of the day Saturday, and poured rain all day Sunday, the day of the race.



4:30 a.m. Simon & Nick are decked out in their rain gear all ready for the race. Very stylish plastic bag, don't you think?
The guys are all set...5:30 a.m. 1 hour before the gun goes off!
Yes, I tried to be the supportive wife, and enjoy the race in the rain. Brrr was it cold and wet!
However, if I didn't go who would have taken pictures for the blog!! :)
One last smile before they start!
They are finally off. If anyone ever wants a free rain coat just go to a marathon race in the rain! I would have to estimate there were 500+ rain coats thrown after the start! Lots of people were collecting them to give them away, and prevent them from going into the garbage.
Wet...wet...wet...
At least there was some good scenery along the way.


Just a random picture of everyone running in the rain.

Also, everyone has to love the guy standing 0.2 miles before the finish line giving out the free beer. I hung out with this guy for a little while, so I could enjoy the reaction from the runners. Not as many as I would have thought took the beer...plus it seemed like more females than males...Go figure!



Unfortunately, this is the best picture of got of Nick right before he crossed the finish line! He is the guy with the white hat, and white shirt.

Bob and Nick after the race, and I am sure they were glad to be finished. (I know I was!!)

There were ~26,000 people that participated in the Flying Pig Marathon this weekend! I am used to the ironman races, which only have about 2,000 participants! Talk about a whole new experience, of getting around and having a hard time finding each other.

Nick finished the marathon in 3:58:40, and Simon finished with a time of 4:51:16. We were very impressed Simon finished the race, as this was his first marathon, and the weather was no encouragement. I couldn't find Bob's results, as he participated in a relay team, and did the second leg for his team.

Nick also did the race in 2001 with a time of 3:49:05, and in 2002 3:48:51. Who would have guess his time would only have changed by 14 seconds! Both of these years the weather was dry, versus all the rain this year!

1 comment:

And Now There Are Four said...

Very impressive. Just over 9 minutes a mile. WOW! Congratulations Nick (and way to stick it out, Hannah)! Nick should run the Baltimore marathon in October ;)